VegeCat phi Supplement
Vegecat phi™ is a supplement used by caretakers to cook nutritionally complete home-made meals for their cats. Adding Vegecat phi™ ensures that the home-made cat food contains all of the essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Vegecat phi™ is designed for cats who have a history of urinary tract problems. See the section at the bottom about the difference between Vegecat phi™ and regular Vegecat™.
Preparing home-made cat food with Vegecat phi™ has a number of advantages:
Nutritionally complete meal
- Your cat is getting 100% of nutrients from a home cooked diet
- If you cook cat food at home without any supplements, you must ensure that your cat is getting enough of Taurine, Vitamin D2, Vitamin A, and the essential fatty acid arachidonate; these are rare nutrients, which is why supplementing is the best way to provide these nutrients for anyone cooking cat food at home
Full control over the ingredients
- Cooking cat meals at home gives the ability to select the ingredients you want
- You can include the ingredients your cat likes, and exclude those your cat doesn’t like
- For example, you can include sweet potato and green peas, and exclude corn and wheat
- By cooking cat food at home you have many options when it comes to formulating various flavours, so your cat can always have something different, which adds excitement and energy to your cat
- Cooking cat food at home and supplementing it is the most affordable way to feed your cat because you only pay for shipping of vitamins and minerals, which have a small weight. The majority of the weight (and of the shipping cost) in dry kibble or canned food comes from other ingredients, but since you cook at home you buy all other ingredients from the local store and don’t have to pay for shipping of those ingredients.
Vegecat phi™ supplement for cats provides the nutrients cats require from non-animal sources, including: Taurine, Vitamin D2, Vitamin A, and the essential fatty acid arachidonate that is required for numerous vital metabolic processes. Vegecat phi™ has been used by the compassionate caretakers of numerous cats throughout the world and over many, many years.
Vegecat phi™ products contain the below rare nutrients cats require, all from non-animal sources.
Cats need dietary taurine (a secondary amino acid), but significant quantities occur naturally only in animal tissues. A shortage causes blindness and heart disease.
Through biosynthesis most mammals make vitamin A from the yellow pigment (carotene) found in vegetables. Cats lack this ability, making a dietary source of this vitamin, found naturally only in animal tissues, essential.
Vitamin D is another essential vitamin, found naturally only in animal tissues as vitamin D3. Vegecat phi™ contains vitamin D2.
The essential fatty acid arachidonate is rare in non-animal sources. Cats require it for numerous vital metabolic processes including reproduction.
Dried kelp (source of arachidonate), Calcium carbonate, Sodium Bisulfate, Monocalcium phosphate, DL-methionine, Taurine, Choline chloride, Dl-alphatocopheryl acetate, Ferrous sulfate, Zinc oxide, Vitamin A-palmitate, Copper sulfate, Ergocalciferol, Selenium, Vitamin B12
Calcium 9061mg, Phosphorus 1127mg, Methionine 3345mg, Taurine 3226mg, Choline 1705mg, Arachidonate 360mg, Vitamin E 204 IU, Zinc 59mg, Iron 79mg, Vitamin A 8067 IU, Copper 3.2mg, Vitamin D2 806.7 IU, Selenium .121mg, Vitamin B12 .033mgRECIPES
Use the kibble recipe (in the Vegecat phi™ instructions) to make a delicious kibble. Cut kibble pieces larger or smaller according to the size of your cats. You can certainly have your own recipes, but do ensure you add enough Vegecat phi™ (see amounts below).FEEDING AMOUNTS
10 pound (4.5 kg) cat would get 1 ¼ teaspoon (6 ml/5.3 g) per day of Vegecat phi™ supplement.
- Supply of SMALL bag of Vegecat phi™ lasts a 10 lb. (4.5 kg) adult cat for 6 weeks.
- Supply of MEDIUM bag of Vegecat phi™ lasts a 10 lb. (4.5 kg) adult cat for 3 months.
- Supply of LARGE bag of Vegecat phi™ lasts a 10 lb. (4.5 kg) adult cat for 6 months.
Kittens (up to 12 months old) need Vegekit™ supplement, formulated for growth. We currently don't carry Vegekit™, but please send us a note to email@example.com if you are interested. In the meantime, you can use our dry kibble formulas, such as Gourmet Maximum Life, that work very well for kittensVegecat™ or Vegecat phi™?
All cats can use Vegecat phi™. Having said that, Vegecat phi™ has been specifically designed for cats that are prone to urinary problems. Urinary problems can happen as a result of cat's urine being too alkaline. Vegecat phi™ contains a safe acidifier, which brings the pH of urine to a normal level. If your cat has a history of urinary problems (usually happens in male cats), or develops any kind of urinary problems, you’d want to use Vegecat phi™.
Vegecat phi™ contains sodium bisulfate while regular Vegecat™ does not. Sodium bisulfate is a superior urine acidifier and a safe substance. Cats with urinary issues, including a urine pH that is too alkaline (this can be tested by a vet or with pH strips at home), are better served with Vegecat phi™. The formation of struvite crystals is a common cause of lower urinary tract diseases in cats. The urine acidification from eating Vegecat phi™ can dissolve existing crystals or prevent the formation of new crystals. The sodium bisulfate increases the palatability of food for cats, but this should not be a determining factor when deciding on a product.
If you are not sure whether your cat is prone to urinary health problem (urinary crystals), measure your cat's urine pH with pH strips. The pH of a cat’s urine should be in the range of 6.0 to 6.5. If you find that the urine pH is too alkaline, Vegecat phi™ is a good option to increase acidity. If you don't have access to pH strips, you can measure pH at your vet. If you are still not sure, err on the side caution and use Vegecat phi™.