Corn is a staple ingredient in most plant-based formulas for cats and dogs. Corn is sometimes undeservingly being called a ‘filler’ – that is, an ingredient that provides little or no nutritional value. In fact, corn supplies many essential nutrients to companion animals. This easily digestible plant is packed with essential amino-acids, proteins, carbohydrates and anti-oxidants, and overall provides balanced nutrition to domestic animals.
The following explains further that corn, in fact, is not a filler -
|Essential fatty acids for healthy skin and coat (especially linoleic and linolenic acids). These acids serve important roles in the immune system and central nervous system as well.1|
|Natural antioxidants - beta-carotene, vitamin E and lutein. These antioxidants contained in corn help protect cells from damage1 and, according to recent studies, may potentially reduce the risk of some forms of cancer, heart disease, arthritis, strokes, atherosclerosis, cataracts, and slow the aging process.2|
Quality proteins for muscle and tissue growth. Corn contains almost all essential amino-acids required for cats and dogs – arginine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, threonine and valine (an exception is taurine). Essential amino-acids in corn are easily digestible in the small intestine of a domestic animal.
|Easily digestible carbohydrates for energy. Cooked ground corn is highly digestible so pets can easily absorb corn's important nutrients. 3,4 Corn is not considered to be a common food allergen, as it is implicated in fewer allergy cases than other common protein sources such as beef, chicken or egg. 5|
|Balancing act – combination of corn with other sources of protein creates complete and well-balanced amino acid profile.|
Well-rounded nutritional profile of corn, paired with its excellent digestibility, makes it an ideal choice as a dog and cat food ingredient.
For this reason, you will find high quality European corn in our popular Ami and Benevo kibble products. In combinations with other healthy ingredients, corn provides balanced nutrition for animal in your care.
Some consumers are concerned with feeding genetically modified products to their companion animals and try to choose non-GMO ingredients whenever possible.
Several Vecado products contain high-quality, non-GMO corn grown in the UK or Italy.
Ami Cat and Dog formulas are complete and balanced formulas, ideal for adult cats and dogs, and made from 100% plant-based sources with no artificial dyes or preservatives. Ami food is ultra digestible, nutritious, light, and gives pets more vitality and health. The formula is made primarily of Non-GMO corn, and is hypoallergenic and works especially well for pets with allergies and food sensitivities.
Ami food helps solving the typical problems of poor nutrition – heavy or slow digestion, loss of appetite and fatigue.
Benevo food helps solving the typical problems of poor nutrition related to feeding typical commercial diets – heavy or slow digestion, loss of appetite and fatigue. Benevo is also available as a 100% Organic product.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 647-491-2035
- Use chat function at the bottom left corner of the website
1. Watson SA and Ramstad PE (eds.). Corn: Chemistry and Technology. American Assoc. of Cereal Chemists, Inc., St. Paul, MN, 1987. [link]
2. Langseth L. Oxidants, Antioxidants and Disease Prevention. International Life Sciences Institute Europe, ISLI Press, Belgium, 1995. [link]
3. Walker JA, Harmon DL, Gross KL, Collings GF. Evaluation of Nutrient Utilization in the Canine Using the Ileal Cannulation Technique. Journal of Nutrition. 124:2672S, 1994. [link]
4. Klenzle E. Carbohydrate Metabolism of the Cat Part 1. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr. 69(2-3):102-114, 1993.
5. Roudebush P. Ingredients associated with adverse food reactions in dogs and cats. Adv Sm Anim Med Surg. 15(9):1-3, 2002.
6. Gross et al., 2010. Macronutrients: In Small Animal Clinical Nutrition, 5th Edition. Topeka, Kansas: Mark Morris Institute, p. 49-105.